Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Guest Room

While we won't be getting one for a few months it's nice to dream. Nothing would be worse than have a guest over to stay the night and have them sleep in some thrown together schleppy room. Mr.P and I once stayed the night with some friends and I just adored the way they put together this room and have since been inspired to make sure ours was nothing short of inviting. Brittany, yes you could say I'm copying you... so shoot me.

Anyways, the main arguement between Mr. P and me is that it's not to girly. So far the rest of our house has dark neutral colors, blue/brown, garnet/gold/brown, and then that mess that is our entire downstairs. I'd say anything but girly imo. My push for the room is that it's light. and bright without going crazy. I just need something to liven up the place a bit. Oh well, one step at a time. Just to catch you up I moved into a house with three males, who had no previous cleaning or decorating experience, so the majority of the past five months have been sorting through that. Mr. P recenty got  his"man room" in which I made no design suggestions. At this point, its a couch, big screen tv, and a set of drawers left behind from Jason. Woo hoo!!!


I've recently taken into looking bedding at my favorites (Ross, TJ Maxx, and Marshall's) while I've been out wandering to get some ideas of what I want. So while browsing the web this morning so far these ideas have popped out at me.



1.) Basic white linens, Throughout college I LOVED my white down comforter. It's only been in recent years that I've switched over to fun printed bedding. I feel like with this room a basic white bed set will be gender neutral and allow for easy coordinating with throw pillows and accessories. I think basic white would also be a good base, so that come holidays and as the seasons change I can swap these out.

2.) No beach themes, we all love the ocean, but for some reason I just can't stand beach/coastal themed rooms in homes. With one exception, bathrooms. I will also make this exception if you actually live at the beach. Just a random pet peeve. I've found that a beach themed room can be extremely difficult to do right, unless you are going for a cheap thrown together look.

3.) Marimekko, I fell in love with this brand in Finland and am excited to finally see it popping up on our side of the pond. It's fresh and mod. They have awesome prints and several colors of each to choose from. I love their classic, Unikko flower print.

4.) A desk, tray and ample seating,  The bed is for sleeping. Nothing is worse than traveling and reaching your final destination and not have a place to sit down. Futhermore a private area to take care of any business you might have to handle. I hope that I can find some way to at least fit in a spare (or two) chairs and small table for something like this. Keeping up with your personal belongings in a tray set on the bed or dresser I think is also a neat idea for guests.

5.) bath linens in the room (and extras), Think about how many times you've been over at a friends house and you have no idea where the towels, washcloths or extra blankets are and you end up with a sleepless night, or wet hair. Since we don't have a legit linen closet (that's another battle) these will be stocked in the guest room itself. Points to you if you can throw in a fresh robe too! Same goes for a bottle of water, and some extra necessities for  your guests to help themselves too if need be.

6.) a nice smell, I think this one is self explanitory but no one will want to come back if your house stinks!!

7.) don't store your stuff there,  Nothing would be more annoying than staying a night with someone and have them constantly in and out to retrieve something in that room, or opening up the closet to hand my coat or other clothes and find no room. I understand we all may be strapped for space, but limit your storage in the guest room to only a few items.



Ok so there's some elements of a future guest room in our home. I think that has covered about every element there is of a great guest room. I would also say it would be a nice guesture if you had other important numbers on a nice card in the guest room incase your vistors might need to to reach you or take care of business while visiting.

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas! I love the idea of the desk/tray for personal belongings. That's much better than having to dig through a suitcase looking for earrings. PS- when you get this set up I'm coming over.

    ReplyDelete