Saturday, August 20, 2011

It seem's as lately we've gone crazy kitchen experiementing. Here's a little post to catch you up! I am sorry no pictures here, I'm not that dedicated to blogging yet. I only have one follower!!

Ok, so last week we attempted the stuffed chicken breasts with pimento cheese. Tasted great, but I still have a lot to learn about stuffing anything. It kinda looked like a pimento cheese explosion. The sad part is, I hate that I wasted that much pimento cheese!! That stuff isn't cheap to make. However, I can brag that I have converted Mr. P to homemade pimento cheese now. I hate that fake store bought stuff!!

Last night, we splurged and made Shrimp and Grits. Turned out wonderfully, except for my heavy handed hubby with the white wine during deglazing. So watch that when you're making it on your own. I was suprisingly pleased at the simplicity of this recipie. We jumped the gun and got proscuitto in the deli at Publix, before we made it to the back of the store and saw they had the Andouille (sp?) sausage. If you can, use the Tasso ham, or Andouille sausage, those meats have all the seasoning in them. We also used thick yellow grits, which make this recipie truly Southern I believe, and here's a tip, add some heavy cream to them and they will be nice and smooth.

Anyways, this weekend we were blessed with a nearly seven pound pork loin.  Our plan is for three 2ish pound roasts. Tonight we simply roasted it in the oven for a little over an hr with the usual Old Bay and garlic seasoning. For sides we made green beans, and Paula Deen's Corn Casserole. I only learned this week you can really kick up those canned green beans by cooking them in a little chicken broth (or add a buillion cube) on medium for close to an hr. Thanks MIL!! This was also my first attempt at the corn casserole. It turned out WONDERFULLY! Definitely one for the regular menu I believe. Our only adjustment was we had no sour cream, so we whipped up some heavy whipping cream. I made it in the suggested 9 x 13 pan, but believe next time I will be using a smaller deeper pan.  The best part of that recipie is that I've been begging Mr. P to let me try it, and he always said no, but the fact we had all necessary ingredients to make it won out tonight. I always enjoy when he likes something he swore he wouldn't.


For at least one of the other roasts we're slow cooking it. I was messing around on pinterest today and found this little puppy.  Brown sugar and Balsamic glazed pork loin. Here's the stock photo from the site.



Now doesn't that look delicious?!  Along with that I found these..


Sweedish Hasselback Potatoes. Just google the name and you can find several recipies. I'm sure neither of these are diet friendly, but I'm DYING to make something creative in the kitchen. Since baking is strictly forbidden, I think I'll be able to get away with some hearty dishes. Results to be posted!!



No comments:

Post a Comment