Thursday, August 4, 2011

the loo

Well Brittany, I was just reading you lovely update about the bathroom and saw where you sent your readers over here. So just so they have something to look at about bathrooms, here's a post from me..

We have currently 2 and 1/2 small bathrooms in this house. The thing I hate, the master bath. I don't event think a Smart car would fit in there! Anyways, it's small. It consists of the basics and that's it. As we move through our house and begin to get things as we like them I'm sure we'll reach the bathroom at some point. The one downstairs need some work badly, and Nate currently occupies the 2nd one up here, and well.. our guests generally don't go in ours. They have been put off on the back burner for now.

So while I'd love to do a post about my dream bathroom, here's one on making the most of your small space in this ever so important area.


1.) a good coat of paint, This will go a long way in any bathroom. It's your base for what ever direction you want to head for. Too many times we've all seen a small bathroom that's been neglected because it's small. Start things off right in your bathroom redo and get a clean coat of paint on the walls and trim.  It goes a long way.

2.) get creative, Use decorative towels, fixtures and lighting to spruce up things. I am all about coordination, so why not get some vinyl decals and put them on basic soap dishes, and toothbrush holders, then carry that onto some embroidered hand towels.  I got some super cute soap as a wedding gift with my new initials on them and am just dying to get them out on display. If you have room for a small lamp or a candle, I think those both add a great little touch. If you have a window, put up a curtain or even hang some photos on the walls.

3.) but not too pretty,  which brings me to my first rant of this post. The too pretty to touch items. Ie, towels, soap, hmmm what else.. I think you get the point. My grandmother used to have this soap carved like little rosettes, and towels with birds on them. The issue was, we couldn't touch them!! So right next to it was a grimey soap pump and torn up towel. What's the point of having them if you can't use them, not to mention it's tacky when guests arrive. I am totally for saving the good stuff for company, but don't make it so they won't even wanna touch it!

4) stock, KEEP YOUR BATHROOM STOCKED!! This is ever important for guests as well. Make sure you've got toilet paper, soap, hand towels, and what not with room to spare. Ladies, if you've got female company you may also wish to put essentials in a non-conspicuous tin or cabinet if needed. In this same respect, keep a handy can of eau de parfume handy too. You can get some great room fragrance at Bath and Body works. This way your bathroom will stay clean, and so will your visitors!

5.) don't leave your crap out, Self explanatory for anyone saving space. At my parents, we had space and more, so make up, brushes, curlers, were all out constantly. Now that I'm here with Mr. P I don't have that space. So I generally keep all that in a bucket in my closet so I pull it out only when I need it. It also helps keep some order in there for company.

6) and don't forget the trash, I think in most bathrooms the trash can is probably the last item anyone thinks about. It's small and usually tucked behind the toilet. Don't forget about this. If you're trying to maximize your small area most bathroom decor usually has a coordinating trash can. Splurge and get it. You'll be so proud of yourself. Make sure you're emptying it as needed, and not letting anything get stuck to it. We don't want a gross trash can. You can get small can liners at the store which make this process even easier.



Ok this post is getting wayy long, but one more area to talk about in the bathroom and we're done.

7.) the actual bath part of the room, Make sure you're toilet, sink, shower and tub work and are clean. A lot of times just by cleaning up around the house and our bathrooms I feel like they are much nicer and easier to look at. In our shower we've got some shelving to make it a little less cluttered and have tried to condense bottles where we could.  I inspect the shower curtain daily for rips or mildew and change it as needed.


I wish I had a better bathroom so I could take these photos for you and show you something cute, but one day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment