We all have them, whether they physically birthed us or adopted us or whatever.. most of us have two people we call Mom & Dad, or something else of the sort. Some of us have only one or even more than two, or look to our "parents" as other figures in our life.
Now, I know I don't have children and will probably get some flack from this post, but I don't care. Isn't that what a blog is for!? It's my opinion, I respect how you decide to raise your children. Please do the same once that times comes. Which ain't in the forseeable future for us.
I was blessed with a great set of parents. I didn't always agree to this statement, but overall I can say it's been nice. They've instill great values in me that I know will take me a lot further in life than any material possession.
What I love the most about my parents.. they've told me no. On more than one occaision. They've done a great job at keeping me in check with reality. I've gotten everything I ever needed, most of what I wanted, and the rest they were right about or, if I wanted it badly enough.. I went out and got it myself. A safe home, car to drive, food to eat, and college tuition were a much better trade off than a new car, designer clothes, and the latest greatest whatever..
In the world I've lived in thus far I think that's a really good thing, and in today's world, a great one. I haven't seen where a lifetime full of yesses gets us anywhere productive. With uncertain times the power of the little words no and yes can make a HUGE impact on how we all make our future decision. I also know now that I'm married and out on my own, just how lucky I am to still have them in my life and am ever grateful for the decisions they made raising me. They really are wise. I also love how they still put their two cents in (respectfully) in the decisions I make today as a wife and adult.
So my question is.. why don't parents say no? You tell me. I see it in so many of my friends lives, and those friends with children of their own. Do they think they are going to win some award for being BFF with their child!? From my perspective all telling your kids "yes" gets you is up shit creek without a paddle. They turn into greedy little brats, then when you really should be helping them out.. you can't because you've exhausted your resources, or they are rebelling and you can't even speak to them. I've seen it happen, we all have.
This economy sucks, we know it, but hey.. like everything else it will get better. It will turn around, and once again we'll find ourselves back on top. The sad thing is that people today are freaking out because of not having enough to go out to dinner, or buy a new car. Not being thankful they can eat, have a working car (which I've never been so grateful for as I have this week), not even being thankful for amazing supportive families. Seems like all I ever hear is complaining. Mr. P and I have really tried not to dwell on the negative, but to really be glad for all we have.
So parents, tell your kids no. It will help you now, and save you a huge heartache in the future. It won't kill them, it will just make them a.) go get a job and work even harder or b.) realize you were right and it wasn't a necessity for their survival. Then, 10 years from now when they know the value of that help they can really appreciate it.
Just my two cents.
No comments:
Post a Comment