Sunday, November 20, 2011

blog with a purpose

Okay, so lately I've stashed a camera in the kitchen just in case I remember to photo something I'm doing.

Last Sunday it was Paula Deen's biscuit recipe. This is something that Mr. Perry has been asking for, for months now, so I got up and got to baking. I've never made biscuits from scratch before, but was surprised at how easy they were. Seriously, it took all of 10 minutes to get it all together. They tasted great, I just wish I had made them a little bit thicker. I'm pretty proud of them in any way.

All they took were butter, buttermilk (or milk),  and all purpose flour.


The first step was to cut the butter into the flour as seen above. Basically you just mash the butter up into the flour. This was the hardest part because the butter was cold, I have no strength. The instructions said to do this til it resembled corn meal. You do cube the butter before this so it makes it somewhat easier to work with. 


Then you slowly add the buttermilk (or reg. milk) until it becomes.. dough. Seriously, looked JUST LIKE biscuit dough from a can. You might have to use your hands. I had a Pampered Chef Mix n Chop from a shower and used that. Seriously LOVE that tool!


This is where I started thinking though..

I imagine you could add cheese, fresh/dried herbs, or something else arromatic and flavorful at this point to make some other delicious biscuits for various meals. 

.. but we stuck with plain for today!


Not sure whats up with that photo, but I rolled it out on a floured surface and cut out my biscuits. 
I will say, the didn't rise as much as I thought they would, so for round 2 this will be thicker. 



I ended up with 9 biscuits. I liked the size of the cutter I used, because I think it's a good sandwich size. 



OUR FINAL PRODUCT!!! 
The recipe on Food network didn't have  a temp or a time listed. I started at 350 *, but Mr. Perry had me bump that up to a solid 400*. Anyways, you bake til golden brown. 



I enjoyed mine with grape jam, and Paul with syrup. 


See I told you I could write a blog with a purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment